Building What Matters
Construction continues on the renovated and expanded Linwood YMCA James B. Nutter Community Center. Construction is expected to be complete in 2017. The renovated facility will include:
- An indoor pool in place of the existing outdoor pool to provide life-saving swim lessons and recreational opportunities year round.
- An expanded health and wellness center in which people can improve their health through cardiovascular exercise and strength training.
- A community room for all ages to connect through shared interests at meetings, faith-based group gatherings, celebrations of family and friends, and more.
- A teaching kitchen for healthy eating, nutrition and cooking classes.
- A renovated gym in which the community can gather for special events and healthy living activities such as youth and adult sports.
- A multi-purpose studio for group exercise, dance, music, arts, and other social and educational activities.
- A kids’ adventure center to provide a safe and fun place for kids to learn and play.
Services at Central Academy of Excellence
At our temporary home at Central, you will see the same friendly faces you know from the Linwood YMCA and the following programs and services:
- A separate entry and parking spots designated for YMCA members on the west side of the Central building.
- Wellness equipment, including strength and cardio machines.
- Wellness programs, including Coaching Connection, Personal Training, Eating Smart Being Active, and Chronic Disease Self-Management.
- Two group exercise rooms. (Updated schedule coming soon)
- Kids Zone.
- Youth development programs, including Launch Pad after school enrichment, Karate, Cheerleading, Bitty and Youth Sports.
- Community Days and outreach programs.
- Coffee station.
- Computer lab.
- Restrooms and drinking fountains.
(Please note: Showers, lockers, open gym and pool access will not be available.)
Youth Enrichment Programs
As part of the Y's commitment to youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, the Linwood Y offers the following youth programs free of charge:
Monday-Thursday, 2:30-6: p.m.
Students in 6th-12th grades engage in positve afterschool activities focused on academic support, enrichment and recreational activities.
Tuesdays and Thursdays
Middle school students focus on leadership, character development, and nonviolent conflict resolution.
High school seniors and juniors explore holistic wellness, employment skills, leadership development and post-secondary planning.
Youth ages 10-14 use science, technology, engineering and math skills to build new and innovative robots.
New and experienced chess players come together to learn and develop skills.
For more information or to register for any of these programs, call 816.923.5675 or visit the Welcome Center.
Schedules & Events
There's always something to do at the Y.
Connect with Us
Like the Linwood Family YMCA page on Facebook to get the latest news, events, announcements and fun photos from us everywhere you go.